WHEATLEY Prof. John Laviers A.R.A., R.W.S, N.E.A.C.

(1892 - 1955)

"Still Life with Hydrangeas"

Oil painting on canvas. Signed. Circa 1935

Provenance From a collection of the Artist's work`

15 1/8" x 19" IMAGE

 

 

 

Prof. John Wheatley was a painter in oil and watercolour and was also an etcher and engraver. He was born on 23rd January 1892 at Abergavenny, the son of Sir Zachariah Wheatley and Edith Grace Wolfe A.R.W.S.He was educated at West Monmouthshire County School; Taunton School; University College, London; under Stanhope Forbes and Walter Sickert; and at the Slade School. He was a director and curator of the Gallery of British Sports and Pastimes from 1948 to 1950; a director of the City Art Galleries, Sheffield (1938-1947), assistant teacher at the Slade School (1920-1925), previously director of the National Gallery of South Africa and Michaelis Prof. of Fine Art and Architecture at the University of Capetown from 1925 to 1937, and Member of the Royal Fine Art Commission since 1946. From 1918 to 1920 he was an official War Artist. In 1917 he was elected Member of the New English Art Club and in 1943 he became an Associate Member of the Royal Society of Painters in Watercolour, rising to full Membership in 1947. He became a Associate Member of the Royal Academy in 1945. He exhibited at the Royal Academy, the New English Art Club, the Royal Society of Painters in Watercolours, Colnaghi & Co. Galleries, Cooling and Sons Gallery, Grosvenor Gallery, Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts, Goupil Gallery, the International Society, Walker Art Gallery Liverpool, Leicester Gallery, the Royal Society of Portrait Painters, the Royal Society of Painter Etchers and Engravers, the Royal Hibernian Academy and the Royal Scottish Academy. Work by John Wheatley is in the British Museum, the Tate Gallery, the National Gallery of Wales, the National Gallery of South Africa, Manchester Art Gallery, Rutherston Collection Manchester, Ashmolean Museum, Christ Church Oxford, University College London, the Imperial War Museum, Athanaeum Museum and Magdalen College Oxford.

 

BACK