HOME                       ABOUT         ARTISTS      HENLEY & HENLEY REGATTA         FRAMING                     EXHIBITIONS                       CONTACT

 

 

 

 

GEORGE PICKARD (1929 – 1993)

“African Head”

Welded Steel (edition 1/1) 49cm high

Signed with initial and dated ’66 (1966)

Provenance: From the Artist’s studio collection, the Artist’s estate.                                                                                 IMAGE

 

 

 

George Pickard was a sculptor, architect, painter and teacher.  He was born in Syston, Leicester settling nearby at Rearsby.  He attended Leicester School of Architecture from 1945 to 1952 becoming an associate of RIBA in 1953.  From 1952 to 1954 he did his National Service in the Royal Artillery as regimental artist engaged in camouflage design.  From 1957 to 1966 he practised as an architect, interested in interior design and sculptural components in building.  From 1966 to 1988 Pickard was senior lecturer in interior design at Leicester Polytechnic and in 1986 was granted a sabbatical to study advanced design and methods in flat glass related to sculpture.  He was a founder member of the Architectural Sculptors Group in 1972 and a member of Leicester Society of Artists and he showed widely in Britain.  Many sculpture commissions included Tube Investments, Coalville; Leicester and Loughborough Universities; United Reform Church, Groby and Beaumont Leys, Leicester.  Pickard was a non-representational artist whose work had “strong references to forms in nature and designed artefacts”.  He explored the potential of a huge range of materials.  There was a memorial show at his studio in 1994, when an illustrated monograph on his work was published by his estate.

 

BACK