HOME            ABOUT            ARTISTS           EXHIBITIONS            CONTACT        TERMS & CONDITIONS

 

 

 

FRANK BATESON MASON (1910 – 1977)

 

“The Yellow House”

Oil Painting on Board. 16” x 24” (406mm x 610mm). Signed & dated 1948

Provenance: Originally exhibited at the Leicester Galleries, London,

“Artists of Fame and Promise Part 1”. July 1948. No. 130 – Purchased by Lady Maud

Bears original exhibition label.

Presented in its original period frame.                                                                                                                   IMAGE

 

 

 

Frank Bateson Mason was born in Thackely, Bradford.  He studied at the Bradford College of Art from 1927 to 1932 under Henry Butler (who Mason described as being “by far the most progressive teacher of painting in England”),  after which, having won a scholarship,  he studied at the Royal College of Art from 1932 to 1935.  He gained Free Studentship of the College in his first year going on in his second year to win the Sir William Rothenstein Sketch Club Prize.  He was then able to study for a further year after winning a continuation scholarship. 

 

He painted in oil, watercolour and gouache and exhibited his work with the Royal Academy, the New English Art Club, the Storran Gallery and the London Group and also at the Leicester and Redfern Galleries and in the provinces.  He travelled widely on the Continent and was always inspired by his environment but particularly by local architecture. He often painted scenes that depicted his travels especially in France, Spain and Venice.   He taught at Ravensbourne College of Art and during this time his work became more landscape orientated although his interest in building remained.

 

Examples of work by Frank Bateson Mason are in the collections of the Beecroft Art Gallery, British Council, Government Art Collection, the Rochdale Arts and Heritage Service, Hepworth Wakefield, Manchester City Galleries, Nottingham City Museums and Galleries and Southwark Art Collection (Cuming Museum). 

 

BACK